Joint care - imagine being a stickman!
It may sound funny but living without movable joints between your bones would make life difficult to say the least. Sitting, walking, running and dancing would be impossible. It is easy to take healthy, pain-free joints for granted when you are young, but not so easy to fix the problem of stiff, painful joints once trouble starts. Yet keeping joints supple and pain-free may be easier than you think.
Any condition which limits movement and causes pain in the joints is called Osteoarthritis(1). It is common knowledge that cartilage (the smooth surface at the head of the bone) and bone health impact on joint health. Inflammation of bone/joint, bone spurs and long-term wear and tear all have a role to play, but importantly, Osteoarthritis is not an inevitable part of aging (2).
Together with a healthy active lifestyle our joints need nutritional support to stay mobile and pain-free. Glucosamine and chondroitin are often recommended for joint support because these substances are the building blocks of cartilage (3). Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body and provides structure to skin, organs, joints and bones. While anti-oxidants are used to minimise breakdown at the bone surface, and minerals and vitamins such as vitamin D can help to re-build bone. Studies have shown that the perennial Omega 3 fatty acids act as anti-inflammatory agents and are a reliable alternative to non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID) (4).
Diet, physical activity and weight management are key lifestyle factors which everyone can control. It is no coincidence that these factors also impact on the development and severity of Osteoarthritis. Marine products such as Green Lipped Mussel powder, Fish Oils, Shark Cartilage and Marine Collagen provide many of the nutrients necessary for healthy joints (in various forms).
As an alternative to seafood supplements, plant-based supplements such as Flaxseed Oil and Red Grape Seed offer many health benefits. Deer Velvet (or deer antler) is also widely used in eastern cultures to this day. Recent clinical trials confirm (see AgResearch NZ at www.deernz.org.nz) that Deer Velvet has anti-inflammatory properties and may benefit joint mobility, wound healing and nerve function. Such properties make it a powerful source of nutrients in the treatment of Osteoporosis and other age-related diseases.
Deep Blue Health products which can improve joint health are;
- Deer Velvet – contains chondroitin sulphate and anti-inflammatory substances which can improve joint mobility.
- Green Lipped Mussel – rich in vitamins, minerals, Omega3 and glucosamine which work together to reduce inflammation and improve joint health.
- Krill Oil - a very potent source of Omega 3 fatty acids with high levels of Astaxanthin, an extremely powerful antioxidant which helps support joints, the immune system, heart, brain and skin.
- Marine Collagen – rich in proteins which make up fibrous tissues in the joint.
- Omega 3 - helps to keep cartilage healthy, reduces inflammation and lubricates joints.
- Shark Cartilage – used to relieve the pain of arthritis and improve joint mobility.
- http://www.arthritis.org/disease-center.php?disease_id=32&df=treatments Arthritis and Joint Health
- http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec05/ch066/ch066a.html - Osteoarthritis and age
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16531187 -Abstract JC Maroon, JW Bost 2006